Sometimes inspiration strikes in the strangest of places. And as it just so happens, the inspiration I needed to get through the week here in Vegas was staring me right in the face in the shower this morning.
philosophy: life is a classroom. we are both student and teacher. each day is a test. and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject: grace. grace is compassion, gratitude, surrender, faith, forgiveness, good manners, reverence and the list goes on. it's something money can't buy and credentials rarely produce. being the smartest, the prettiest, the most talented, the richest or even the poorest can't help. being a humble person can, and being a helpful person can guide you through your days with grace and gratitude.
So I'm going to be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with the "what's our schedule" posts. Because honestly, they feel just a little too "tell your people to call my people" to me. I mean who do we think we are?? Kim Kardashian opening up the Vegas New Year's party? No, we're just going to a photo conference. A very, very, insanely large photo conference.
And that's the thing.
Connecting with someone at WPPI can be a lot like finding a needle in a haystack. And the first few times we went I remember feeling so frustrated because we never knew where anyone was. And we would go the whole week without ever once bumping in to someone we really wanted to see.
Hence, the "what's our schedule" posts. We put together some of the places & times that we definitely know we'll be somewhere, that way if you want to you can find us. Y'know, without that whole haystack feeling.
Saturday, Feb 19th *Pictage Lens & Learn with the Boys & Girls Club of Las Vegas. We'll be spending all day with these kids teaching them photography, and I'm sure learning a lot more from them than what we teach them along the way. It's one of the things I'm most excited for this year.
Sunday, Feb 20th *From 3:30 on, we'll be hanging around the trades show and in a couple classes, followed by the Fashion Show in the Grand Garden Arena.
*That night we'll be swinging by the GoBee & [b] parties, so be sure to say hi if you're at either of those!
Monday, Feb 21st * From 2:00-3:00 we'll be hanging out & answering questions at the Couture Book booth & we'll also have our "Justin & Mary: The Weddings" book with us so you can take a look at that if ya want! After that, we'll be at the trade show & a couple of classes until dinner.
* Later we'll be hitting up the Airplanes & Blazers party, but only for a little while because we have to get up EARLY the next day.
Tuesday, Feb 22nd *From 7:00-8:45am we'll be drinking a LOT of coffee and hanging out with the 20 winners of our "Shoot Out w/ J&M" contest! If you see me after and it looks like I have bed head, it's because I DO!
*From 3:00-4:00 we'll be speaking at the Lens Pro to Go booth, talking about our favorite lenses and why these guys pretty much rock!.
* That night we will most definitely be hitting up the insane Pictage Party at Studio 54. I packed my dancing shoes, so I better see you there!
Wednesday, Feb 23rd *We'll be taking it easy & getting ready for our talk. Otherwise known as hermit day.
Thursday, Feb 24th *We'll be presenting our Platform "How to be a Rainmaker: Ten Tips to Turn the Tides" from 9:00-11:00am and we hope to see you all there!
I promise we aren't scary at all so if you see us and want to, please come up & say hi! We would love that! Even if I do have bed head and look super engrossed in my coffee! :)
We are gearing up around here, packing our bags and checking em twice! We take off tomorrow and can't wait to see you ALL in Vegas, baby! Before we go, we wanted to share with you guys our WPPI survival kit that Julia put together. There are a lot of things we didn't think of the first few times we went, and our experience suffered for it. Probably the *biggest*one for me is just how darn dry it is out there. My face is usually burning by the end of the week, so make sure to bring extra rich face lotion especially for around the corners of your eyes. Trust me, you'll thank me for it! Let's see what else is in our kit!
1. Fashion Tape! No wardrobe malfunctions here!
2. Make sure to pop a packet of Starbuck's Via in your purse! You don't want to miss any platforms because you were waiting on line for a Starbucks fix!
3. The iphone alarm- essential to making those early morning platforms!
4. Whether your wearing heels or flats blister defense will get your feet happily through WPPI!
5. A trusty notebook from Barnes and Noble!
6. Some pens courtesy of target 7. The casinos are dry! Keep some Visine on hand and your eyes will thank you!
8. Never leave the hotel without your lipgloss!
9. Always pack a water! Water with electrolytes? Extra bonus!
10. It is SO dry out there! Always have some hand cream in your bag. Our fave? L'Occitane Shea Butter!
11. A schedule. So you know where to be and when! We used iCal to make block scheduling- literally, gym, lunch, showers... they are all scheduled before we leave! :)
12. After drinking your Starbuck's Via, you might need some Starbuck's after coffee gum 13. Dr. Scholl's heel insoles. Because dancing can take a toll on your feet!
14. Plane rides and casinos are packed full of people! Airborne makes sure we all make it through Vegas without getting sick!
15. You are on your phone constantly at WPPI! Twitter updates, texting, looking at your schedule. Plus because there are so many people also on their phones, your phone will constantly be fighting for a signal. And that can wear a battery down FAST! We recommend the mophie juice pack because it's like an entire extra battery, to give your phone (and your social schedule) a longer life!
16. The days are long, and there is a lot of walking! Sometimes you need a little pick me up on the go! So we always have a Granola Bar in our bag! One of our favorites? The Kind Cranberry Almond bars!
17. Want to make sure you get in to see your favorite speaker? Make sure to sign up for your Preboard Passes! It also ensures you don't get stuck on those long lines outside of the room!
18. Purell hand sanitizer is always a good thing to carry!
19. Aleve can be a life saver!
20. And when you get back to your room and just want to relax? Pop on a comfy pair of Uggs!
Be sure to tune back in tomorrow for Kim & Steve Pt II and we'll also be posting our WPPI schedule with all the places you can catch us!
**And be sure to follow along on Twitter for all the minute by minute updates from Vegas!!
I watched from the balcony as they swayed to Babyface amidst a sea of faces. And from where I stood, I could see it happening before they did. He broke loose from the crowd and ran out on the dance floor. Just to be closer to them. Because there was never any doubt...that's where he belonged. It was not long after that his brother joined him, and the four of them stayed out there together for the longest time. Just holding on to one another.
Because that's what family does.
She looked at them and he looked at her. And from where I stood, I think I could see it happening before he even did. He forgot about the crowd and moved even slower to the music. Pulled her in tighter. Just to be closer to her. Because there was never any doubt....that's where he belonged. And if he could've, I think he would have stayed out there all night. Holding on to all of them. For just a while longer. And if you asked him why, I think he'd say...
Because that's what family does.
Married: Kim & Steve
Kim & Steve were married this past weekend at the Bellevue Hotel in Philadelphia. Surrounded by their friends & family and two of the cutest kids you've ever seen, they made a promise for forever. They toasted to a life together. Not to the start, but to the continuation of the incredible life they've already built. Together. To the team that they already are. Together. To finding your soulmate when you're just a kid....and to spending the rest of your lives growing old together. And they made all of us wish for that too. K&S, what can we say? There wasn't a second this weekend that you didn't make us feel like friends. You shared your life with us, and you allowed us to document love as it should be. And we will never forget that. We hope you are having an incredible time in Mexico...be safe on the zip lines & drink an extra margarita for us! Preferably after the zip lines.
So much love,
Ok, ok you guys know what's coming....Let's start with the SHOES!! These crystal studded Louboutins were custom made for Kim....and if they ever come up missing you know where to look!!
The gorgeous dress!
And bling provided courtesy of David Yurman.
Wait, let's go back to the shoes again. Ahhhhhh.
GORGEOUS blooms provided by the amazing ladies of Hana & Posey (just wait til you see what they did at the reception!)
The guys all got a lil' tie love courtesy of the fine folks at Gucci.
Steve's David Yurman band was surrounded in diamonds.
As was his watch! :)
Can I just tell you how much I love Steve's dad?? Both of his parents actually....I kinda want to be adopted by them. Is that weird? Yea, probably.
The fellas, including fellow Mountaineers Pat White & Vaughn Rivers.
It's go time!
Mrs. Sierra, you are STUNNING! I see where Kim gets her good looks!
Kim you were absolutely breathtaking. No seriously, a few times I had to remind myself to breathe you looked so gorgeous! :)
Ok, brace yourself for cuteness overload. Here we go.
Lol, work it. Lemme work it.
And then we were off for the First Look.
And Steve, you were looking pretty dapper yourself my friend. If football doesn't work out, there's always modeling. :)
Ok, stay tuned! Part II is coming your way tomorrow!